quinta-feira, 3 de maio de 2018

First (belated!) post of 2018

Year 2018 and sad testimony of a world crumbling around us.  If I were writing poetry at the moment (and it may come, I suppose, at any moment), it would have to reach so deeply into the wretchedness of our times that I would need to learn to write in a way I have not yet been able to.  So maybe, for now, will just stick to this little tidbit of the local, a project  connected to years of sociological research and personal immersion in "popular" and "rurban" horse cultures , that is to become a sort of  documentary photographic essay on children and horses on the periphery of a few southern Brazilian cities.  If I am succesful, I will be able to capture moments of tenderness, moments of communication between horses and humans, the way the interaction with the beauty and gentleness and spirit of equines helps us to find what is best in ourselves, carving small and momentary paths out of the debris of the city and a hopelessness (apathy, lack or loss of direction, absence of viable blueprints for a better world, etc.)  that is historically-produced and institutionally-sustained.  That threatens to destroy us all.


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Young lady on a white horse.

    Young lady on white horse   Stopping dead in her tracks I couldn’t tell if it was acquiescence Or reproach.   Still I shot – I...